I am a long-term cancer survivor who has become skeptical of most things “conventional,” medically speaking. Conventional oncology told me my cancer, multiple myeloma, was incurable and that I was terminal. That was in 1997.
What does this have to do with Alzheimer’s disease? The study referenced below talks about predicting who may get Alzheimer’s disease. The theory being that early detection improves outcomes.
Therein lies the problem. The algorithm discussed predicted cognitive impairment 75% of the time. Being a glass half full person, I wonder about the other 25% of the people.
“Some 80% of the sample predicted by the biomarker combination to go on to develop abnormal memory problems truly went on to develop them, while 20% would have been classified as a false negative.”
Research and personal experience has taught me that there are evidence-based therapies that change genetic expression. I think epigenetics is as true in Alzheimer’s disease as it is in cancer. The nutritional supplements listed below ALL are supported by research indicating that they either reduce cognitive impairment or prevent Alzheimer’s disease outright.
“… depression, anxiety, stress, Alzheimers-like brain disease, age-related cognitive decline and other conditions…”
“…may help memory function and may help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease dementia and other neurodegenerative disorders…”
“…higher consumption of green tea has been associated with a lower prevalence of cognitive impairment in older adults…”
I am both a long-term cancer survivor and cancer coach. I supplement with all three of the evidence-based, non-conventional therapies above and have remained in complete remission from my “incurable” cancer since 1999.
For more information about nutritional supplementation and chronic disease, scroll down the page, post a question or comment and I will reply ASAP.
“Method relies on an algorithm of six memory, brain-imaging and biological measures
Researchers and drug companies are keenly interested in biological markers of Alzheimer’s that can predict, long before clinical symptoms show up, who may develop the progressive memory disease. In recent years, it has become increasingly evident that Alzheimer’s-related changes in the brain begin at least 10 to 15 years or more before people show signs of detectable memory loss…
The study, called Biocard, followed 189 people from as early as 1995, for an average of eight years. All the individuals began the study without memory problems, but three-quarters had family members who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Over the years, 60 participants went on to develop either mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer’s, said Dr. Albert.
Using statistical analysis, the team determined an algorithm of six biomarkers taken together predicted the likelihood that an individual would progress to Alzheimer’s, but further validation of the test on a different sample of people is necessary, said Dr. Albert.
Some 80% of the sample predicted by the biomarker combination to go on to develop abnormal memory problems truly went on to develop them, while 20% would have been classified as a false negative. The algorithm, 75% of the time, correctly predicted who wouldn’t go on to develop memory problems.
The six measures in the algorithm included a genetic assessment of whether an individual had a variant of the ApoE4 gene, two memory tests, the level of a protein called tau found in the cerebrospinal fluid and MRI measurements of two brain regions…”
“A small study could have big implications in the battle against age-related cognitive decline and dementia, according to research announced today at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference. The study was conducted by researchers at McGill University and Posit Science, and showed—for the first time ever in humans — that a particular type of brain exercise can increase the ongoing production of a brain chemical that is critical in addressing Alzheimer’s disease.
The brain chemical is acetylcholine, a neuromodulator, which the brain naturally produces at the moments when it needs to attend to information, and which is critical to memory and learning. Typically, the production of acetylcholine decreases with aging, and is more dramatically decreased in people with age-related cognitive decline, pre-dementia, and dementia.
The most commonly-used drugs to combat early stage Alzheimer’s are cholinesterase inhibitors (e.g., Aricept, Exelon, Razadyne), which decrease the rate at which the brain breaks down acetylcholine, leading to higher levels of acetylcholine in the brain. This strategy has been shown to mildly slow the decline associated with Alzheimer’s disease, but typically the benefits from this strategy are not sustainable over time…